Skip To Main Content

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act

What is a 504 Plan? 

A 504 Plan offers support for students who have a medical disability but do not need special education services.  It allows for accommodations in the classroom that level the playing field so the student can do his or her best work.  Teachers are bound by law to provide the accommodations through the Rehabilitation Act, an updated version of the ADA. 

How is a 504 Plan different than an IEP?

A 504 Plan is a document that provides accommodations only.  There are no Special Ed services attached to a 504.  An IEP (Individualized Education Plan) outlines learning goals and how the special education staff will help the child meet those goals.  An IEP might include accommodations too, but they are listed as part of the methods for helping a kid reach their learning goals.

How are they monitored?

Both are monitored throughout the school year.  Once a year the child’s team of teachers, and school staff meet to review the plans and decide if changes are needed.  If the child is struggling, a parent can ask for a meeting to review at any time. 

Who do I contact about 504 Plans?

Your child’s school counselor is in charge of your school’s 504 Plans.  
Building Coordinators:
Early Childhood (Age 3-5) - Tina Wilkins, 302-422-1650 
Kindergarten - Teri Creamer, 302-422-1650
Banneker - Jen Norman, 302-422-1630
Lulu Ross - Alicia Streett, 302-422-1640
Mispillion - Kathleen Molitor, 302-424-5800
MCA - Kristina Feher, 302-430-7900
MHS (Grades 9-11) - Andrea McPike, 302-422-1610
MHS (Grade 12 and Transition) - Amanda Hale, 302-422-1610