Spanish Language Immersion
Milford School District has a two-way dual language immersion program offered in Spanish for Grades K-6.
Milford School District is proud to offer a Spanish Language Immersion Program at three elementary schools: Morris Early Childhood Center (Kindergarten), Benjamin Banneker, and Lulu Ross and now for 6th Grade at Milford Central Academy. This program provides some of our youngest learners with an exciting opportunity to learn and engage in two languages and cultures - English and Spanish - during the school day. In 2022-2023 School Year, the first cohort of MSD immersion students will progress to 6th grade, where they will continue their immersion studies.
Immersion classes follow the same curriculum in all content areas (reading, writing, math, science, and social studies) as all other classrooms and use many of the same materials. Two teachers instruct students in this program - one for half the day in English, and the other for half the day in Spanish. In the Spanish-speaking classrooms, the teacher speaks entirely in Spanish and uses a range of strategies including pictures, songs, games, body language, facial expressions, and more.
Why Chose Dual Language Immersion?
Two-way Dual Language Immersion
- Students leave our program bilingual, biliterate, and bicultural
- Native English speakers learn Spanish and native Spanish speakers learn English together
- Students take Spanish Literacy/Language Arts, Math and Science in Spanish
- Students take English Language Arts, Social Studies and Content Transfer/Academic Language Development in English
- Parents of students in the Dual Language Immersion Program are excited with the results and pleased to see their children achieving academic success, while they become global citizens. Most recommend the program to other parents because they have seen their children thrive.
The goals of Dual Language Immersion are to:
Support the development of two languages
Develop critical thinking skills useful in other areas
- Promote self esteem
- Teach respect for other cultures
- Promote collaboration when students work in pairs
- Increase creativity
How to Enroll:
To enroll your incoming kindergarten student, please contact Morris Early Childhood Center. Students are selected based on a lottery system.
Spanish Immersion Program Contact:
District English Learner Specialist
(302) 503-9542 ext 135